Let’s bring everyone to the same level of safety, health and environmental quality maturity. Adapt and integrate international standards. Work as a team. We are only as strong as the weakest link. SAFETY BEGINS WITH TEAMWORK.
-Luis Miguel Aboitiz, EVP and COO, AP Corporate Business Group
With over 70 participants from the different AboitizPower business units, the second run of the Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) Forum strengthened the building blocks of the company’s formidable edifice of world-class practices. The strong support from the business units’ heads was evident in the plenary and panel discussions. Here are the key takeaways of this year’s forum:
Incident Reporting and Investigation
- Reporting and recording of incidents enable and reinforce the culture of safety.
- It is a non-punitive approach and is focused on dissecting the anatomy of an incident
- Emergency exercises and drills give proficiency on incident notification and reporting
Stakeholder Engagement: Creating Buy-In at the Workplace
- This is an enrichment of the Group’s Stakeholder Engagement program
- Communication is necessary to build, enhance and protect relationships
- Understand what a stakeholder really is and what it is not; familiarize with the type of stakeholders and their wins; and develop your engagement process
Biodiversity profiling project
- Hedcor’s biodiversity profiling is an integral component of its watershed management program
- The study gives a comprehensive overview of Mount Apo’s biodiversity
- It yielded the discovery of flora and fauna species endemic to the area
- It resulted to an Inyovation project called EAGLE (Environmental Assessment through Geotagging and Lawin Enforcement), a partnership with UP Mindanao’s biodiversity experts, IPs and DENR to continuously monitor the identified flora and fauna, and forest threats.
SHEQ is a driving force in achieving operational excellence. It prevent accidents through sound SHEQ practices. IF YOU CAN’T MANAGE SAFETY, YOU CAN’T MANAGE.
-Manny Rubio, AP Generation Group EVP and COO
Since the creation of SHEQ, the Power Group has already set up the Steering Committee and implemented the 1AP governance documents that set the requirements on SHEQ management and performance across business units. These include: performance reporting through the SHEQ dashboard, incident reporting, road transport safety management system, stop work authority, power plant entry rules, behavior based safety, modular inspection checklist, guidelines on hazardous waste classification and labeling, and guidelines on solid waste management.
It has integrated SHEQ into its performance metrics (target of 15% of performance bonus). Meanwhile, the drive for third party ISO certification is in full gear with all BUs eyeing to be IMS-certified by end 2017. The IMS certification will entails an integrated approach with ISO 9001 (Quality Management System), ISO 14001 (Environmental Management System), and OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management System).