Mahalin Pagkaing Atin program was introduced in mid-2014 and aims to promote sustainable entrepreneurship through promotion of local produce and instill a “pride of product, pride of place” mindset for both farmers and local consumers, thus enabling operators to maximize profit without passing through middlemen. Through MPA, Pilmico has donated a total of 1,066 piglets, 313 egg machines, and 21 bakery starter packages to date.
Cagayan State University – Andrews Campus Gymnasium, July 12
Stopping by their city last July, the Mahalin Pagkaing Atin caravan encouraged more Tuguegaraons to embrace sustainable livelihood and backyard farming in the country. The event included seminars on animal husbandry and nutrition, basic and advanced baking, and cooking pork, chicken, and egg recipes highlighting the flavors of the Philippines as demonstrated by MPA Ambassador Chef Boy Logro.
Pilmico also kickstarted livelihood for 28 Tuguegaraons by distributing 30 piglets (two piglets per beneficiary, each with one-cycle feed consumption), 10 egg machines (48-chicken set each with one-cycle feed consumption), and three bakery kits. These will enable local farmers to sustain livelihood through an easy-to-manage business with a quick return on investment, despite the threats of poverty, tragedy, or conflict.
SPECIAL FEATURE: Mahalin Pagkaing Atin Recipes from Chef Boy Logro
200 g Combination of pork cheek, ear, and snout
200 g Pork belly
50 g Yellow onion, sliced
50 g Garlic
20 g Chili Peppers, chopped
5 g Salt, to taste
2 g Black Peppercorns
40 ml Water
20 ml Soy Sauce
20 ml White Vinegar
20 ml Pineapple Juice
- Clean the pork cheek, ears, and snout thoroughly and remove any hair left.
- Put the meat in a pot together with the garlic, black peppercorn, pineapple juice, water, and salt. Boil water and simmer until the meat is tender (about 45 minutes). Drain the meat and cool to room temperature.
- Grill the meat over charcoal until brown and crispy. Deep fry if grill is unavailable.
- After grilling, chop the meat to approximately 1 cm cubes. Mix the chopped meat with the onion, chili pepper, vinegar, soy sauce.
- Heat a cast iron plate until hot. Remove the plate from the heat and put the meat mixture on it.
- Serve with the raw egg and calamansi.