- Capacity expansion to support increased demand for cement
- The facility uses state-of-the-art and sustainable zero-water spray consumption, energy-efficient, and zero-noise pollution FCB HoromillÂ®
Republic Cement commissioned its newest cement Finish Mill at its Norzagaray Plant in Bulacan on March 15, 2016, increasing its production capacity to support the growing infrastructure needs of the country.
“This capacity expansion initiative reaffirms Republic Cement’s commitment to support our country’s growth through the provision of top quality cement and building materials,â€ said Renato Sunico, President of Republic Cement & Building Materials, Inc. (RCBM). Noting the 14.3-percent growth of the cement industry last year, Sunico said that the new Finish Mill will boost the Norzagaray plant’s production capacity by 850,000 metric tons annually. It also bolsters the plant’s capability to produce the broad range of high-quality Republic Cement products.
Republic Cement contracted leading industrial engineering group Fives FCB to build the fully automatic, zero-water spray consumption, energy-efficient, and zero-noise pollution FCB HoromillÂ®. The HoroMill is a horizontal-rotating cement grinding equipment. It leverages on the latest technologies developed by leading French industrial group Fives FCB.
The new Horomill highlights Republic’s commitment to sustainability with its excellent process stability. ItÂ is designed to haveÂ low wear rate andÂ to consumeÂ less energy. It can also utilize CO2 neutral cement additives, such as fly ash, thereby reducing carbon dioxide emissions.
Republic Cement has a nationwide manufacturing network with plants in Norzagaray, Bulacan; Teresa in Rizal; Taysan, Batangas; Danao in Cebu; and, Iligan City in Mindanao. It also operates an aggregates plant in Bulacan. Republic Cement maintains a broad national supply and distribution envelope of key dealers to address the exacting demands of its broad clientele that ranges from multibillion-peso construction and building conglomerates to individual homebuilders.
Sidebar: Sustainable practices in cement manufacturing operations
Under a pioneering total ash management program, the Republic Cement Norzagaray Plant, already harnesses fly ash, a by-product of coal power generation, and blends it with cement that reduces clinker proportion in the product and improves carbon footprint.
Republic is the only cement manufacturer in the country that blends cement with fly ash, aptly named “Tibay Enhancersâ€, which increases the durability of concrete and provides improved workability and a smoother finish.
What is a cement finish mill?
A cement or finish mill is an equipment used to grind clinker and gypsum in order to bring the material to a fine powder known as cement. A conventional cement mill is a ball mill that consists of a hollow cylindrical shell rotating about its axis. The axis of the shell may be either horizontal or at a small angle to the horizontal. It is partially filled with balls. The grinding media is the balls, which is made of chrome steel. The inner surface of the cylindrical shell is usually lined with an abrasion-resistant material such as manganese steel.
What distinguishes the Fives FCB HoroMillÂ®?
The HoroMill is a horizontal-rotating cement grinding equipment. It leverages on the latest technologies developed by leading French industrial group Fives FCB.
What are the new technologies in the new mill that makes it advanced?
- Energy saving – Industrial results of the HOROMILLÂ® operating worldwide have shown energy savings ranging between 35% and 70%.
- Environment-friendly plant – Low noise level, no pollution low energy consumption, valuation and recycling of wastes such as blast furnace slag, fly ash, etc.
- Space-saver design – The HOROMILLÂ® installation is easy, within a very limited space area. It is compact and ensures good access and easy maintenance.
- Flexibility and quality – Â A main advantage of the HOROMILLÂ® lies in its production flexibility thanks to the small quantity of material in the grinding and separating circuit (less than 10 tons in a 100 tph HOROMILLÂ® cement circuit). The resulting short response time coupled with the full and accurate automation of the HOROMILL allows for a quick transition phase when processing several products or qualities.