More than 400 participants from Metro Manila and Cebu schools showed up at UnionBank’s first ever Hackathon and Convention (U:HAC), its response to the fast-changing and ever-evolving digital landscape that affects all sectors of society, most especially banking.
In his message, UnionBank Chairman and CEO Dr. Justo Ortiz encouraged the participants to be as imaginative and innovative as they can. “You shape the future, and the limitations of that future are your imagination and creativity which we know has no limits. So I’m here today to be inspired, to be energized by the future that you are going to imagine,” he said.
“We aim to be a bank of enduring greatness. We want to be relevant. We want to be expert. We always challenge convention. And we know that we will do that by joining hands with you and moving together towards this future where we can make a difference to ourselves as individuals, our families, the communities we serve, the country, and, with internet today, in the world,” he added.
• Team White Cloak won the grand prize for creating uBank, an app that utilizes speech recognition and natural language processing to make telebanking more convenient, cost-effective, and powerful. The team won the doubled-up prize of PHP160,000 as well as PHP30,000 special prize from IBM Bluemix plus Cloud Credit from IPC. The doubled-up prize is only given to the winning team who can provide an exceptional digital solution for the banking industry.
• Team Chibot placed second winning PHP60,000 for its Property View-R, an app of virtual reality listing of foreclosed properties allowing sellers and buyers to speed up the process of viewing, ordering and closing the transaction.
• Static CJ placed third winning PHP40,000 for its UnionBuddy mobile app that uses cashless transaction services between small business owners and consumers.
• Team LaurelEye won PHP50,000 and a cloud credit from IPC for its Uber-type web-based platform for tutorials, allowing knowledge-sharing among individuals who are interested in arts, culture, and academic subjects, among others.
• HatchITSolutions won a special prize of PHP30,000 for their project CITYSIREN, a web app that uses data mining and data analytics to inform local government units and businesses on issues that the public faces daily.
U:HAC 2016 Manila was organized in partnership with PLDT Innolab, IPC, and Red Wizard Entertainment while U:HAC Cebu was organized by UnionBank in partnership with A Space Cebu, PLDT Innolab, and IPC.